Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gustav is scaring me

Okay, I'm nervous. We are right in the path of Gustav. I'll come back to that in a minute, first Madeline.

Dr. W and I played phone tag the second half of last week. We finally spoke Friday. I dreaded this conversation since I knew he would want to increase meds since her serum level was actually lower than last month. Sidebar here to update you: Madeline's last cyclosporine serum level was 141. It needed to be higher. We doubled the dose and were to follow-up in a month with another serum level testing. We did and this time it was in the 90's. Okay, with that out of the way...I was confused that her level was lower, so was he. I could hear in his voice we will need to....but then I told him how good Madeline is doing. Her skin is better than ever, strength good, flexibility so much better. He then said good - let's stay the course. I was so happy and feel this is the right choice. If I didn't see improvement, I'd increase her dose, but she is doing great.

Now back to the new bad thing in our life - Gustav. I am normally pretty calm on hurricanes, but this is a big one and it scares me. The Governor just had a press conference announcing Gustav is expected to be worse than Katrina. I can't imagine. Gustav is now classified a category 4 expected to become a category 5 tonight. Our town has now been listed as an impact area so the normal folks from the coast that come to us for shelters are being bypassed from our area to go further north. I believe the wording locally authorities used.. "we need to take care of ourselves". OK.

We are told that where we live to expect category level 2 or 3 winds (up to 110 mph). I have washed every dirty clothes/towels in our house today, went grocery shopping again (which you can't find water, bread, canned goods any longer) and had conference calls with work since I will probaly have to live there during this event. We will pick up items in the yard tomorrow to ensure nothing can fly. We have a lot of furniture around our pool to put up as well as porch swimgs, potted plants, etc. We'll also cleans gutters and make sure the cars are filled with gas (stations are running out around here).

I will make another post tomorrow, but do not know when/if I'll get to post for a while after Big Gus passes. Just depends on the electricity situation and any other potential issues. I don't wish this hurricane on anyone else, but I sure wish it wasn't aimed straight for us.

No comments: