Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sacrament of the Sick

It's Sunday and Madeline served as an altar server at church this morning. She always enjoys altar serving at church. She feels very grown up and feels like she is closer to God.

Right before the service began, it hit me...why had we not had Madeline added to the church prayer list or had the sacrament of the sick provided to her. Our actions (or lack of) at times shock me so much. I can't help but wonder if it is the same thing that was going on just two months ago -denial. I need to snap out of it.

I told Rick to go see the priest and request after church the sacrament and off he went. When mass was over, we went with Father into the confessional area. The bad thing - Madeline had no idea what we were doing. The look on her face was "what did I do?". I guess we messed up there by not letting her know that we requested a prayer for her. She did fine though. I asked her how she felt after and she told me when he put the oil on her forehead, her whole body got warm. That brought a smile to all of our faces.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Our daughter received the Sacrament of the Sick regularly when her JDMS was active. Our church offer the sacrament monthly as a community - all who want it gather after Mass on the 1st Sunday of the month. The support of a group like that is tremendous!