Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Say a little prayer for you...

It's amazing how we find people and people find us...regarding Madeline and her JDM. An angel has come into our life by the name of Petra. Petra, whose husband suffers from the adult form of Madeline's disease, didn't realize children also suffered from this ailment. She went to a national conference where she met several children and from that the "prayer shawls" were born. Here is her story in her own words...

"My husband Dave was diagnosed with IBM (Inclusion Body Myositis) 16 years ago.In September 2008 we attended the Myosits Conference in Denver, CO. I was vaguely aware that children had this decease - but I thought that it mainly consisted of a rash. A little girl by the name of Kory Taylor (7 years old) was pointed out to me and I was told that she had the same decease as the adults. I was so touched by this child and family - I just knew that I had to make prayershawls for as many kids as possible. I also met to other girls and the grandparents of another girl that was not there. thru them I had some other parents contact me - all the kids now have prayershawls and I stay in contact with the parents and kids. I feel so blessed to be able to do this.The prayershawls are crochet. The yarn is prayed over - then there is prayer while the shawl is croched. Then I have my Sunday School kids pray over the shawls. Each shawl is prayed over in the name of the recipient by the church. So, a lot of prayer."

She has made 289 shawls to date for children in the US and around the world. Madeline will receive her shawl in the mail any day now. She is so excited. Prayer...what a powerful thing. And Petra...what a powerful woman.

No comments: