Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's looking a little brighter...

I did something that is considered controversial in the JDM world today. Madeline attended her cousin's birthday party today (outside, sunny, great day). I didn't put sunblock on her. I didn't know what to expect. I guess I thought she'd be red, swollen, etc. But she wasn't. Am I being crazy? Overprotective? Irresponsible?

I can't help but wonder how much the sun has to do with her illness. I know there's literature that list it as a possibility, but I've not believed this was Madeline's trigger. I also often wonder about the children who once had JDM, who now are adults, deal with the sun. Are they still after being in remission for 10 - 20 years obsessing with sunblock, hats, etc?

I became obsessed with the sun right after Madeline's JDM diagnosis. The child didn't walk outside without sunblock, hat, etc. I'd even have her under umbrellas. Now, I'm reading in literature that we are not getting enough Vitamin D with our indoor activities and sunblock. Dr. W even mentioned this in our last visit.

I'm going to relax a little w/ my anti-sun obsession. It's a new step for me this year and one that I really need to relax with.

No comments: