Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Birthday, Madeline!

It's a big day today at our house. It's Madeline's birthday. And it's not just any birthday. It's her first double digit birthday. She is 10 years old.

She had school today where I brought cupcakes for her class. I had such a busy day at work today and ran around like a wild woman and just in time got to her class. But when I showed up to her class, and saw her face...it was all worth it. Everyone sang her happy birthday and she blushed, of course.

I bring cupcakes to the class each year. If you notice on the blog home page there is a picture of Madeline on her 9th birthday in her classroom. Boy she looks and feels so much better than this time last year.

I remember (and often replay that memory in my head) the first time I googled Madeline's disease name to learn about JDM. The first thing I kept seeing was this child and that child being granted their "Make a Wish" gift. Of course, I was devastated. It's bittersweet this memory today. I didn't know a year ago what we would be facing with Madeline, but I now know this little girl is going to make it and be stronger due to this illness.

Today I celebrate the birth of my beautiful baby girl. But now, I also celebrate her life and the wonderful, happy, beautiful things that are to come to her in the future.

Happy Birthday, Madeline. Your daddy and I love you more than you'd ever know. We are so proud of you and honored God gave you to us to take care of forever and ever.

No comments: