Saturday, November 29, 2008

This Thanksgiving - Gratitude with Attitude

This Thanksgiving weekend I can't help but recall how much has happened in our life this past year. It was this time last year when Madeline's first sign of what we thought was "poison ivy" appeared on her face. Little did we know at that time our life was to change so much.

I feel there is somewhat of a conquer at this one year mark. So many families told me it could take a year or two before the effects of the muscle take place. Well, it's been one year. No muscle problems yet. Of course, I know...one more year to worry.

I've completely stopped asking why this disease has happened to my baby. It was not healthy for me. I was struggling, along with the rest of my family. But I was angry too and did not want to admit that to anyone, especially myself. I realize now that my struggling was actually my healing process. I'm not angry anymore and I'm not scared (well, most of the time). I've accepted this disease as a shifting of sands in our life and one that will only make my beautiful daughter in the long run a stronger, more incredible woman than she is already destined to be. I also believe it will (and has) make our family even closer .

This Thanksgiving I am so thankful for my husband, son Trey, parents, in-laws, sisters, friends and co-workers. I am also thankful to the many individuals who have contacted me whose child too suffers from this disease. I appreciate hearing their comments and sharing their life stories with us.

And of course, I am so thankful for Madeline. I am constantly amazed that a nine year old little girl can teach me so much. She teaches me with her steadfast attitude that she will "be done with this disease by the time she is 12" comments or her determination to dance for four hours even though her medicine makes her so tired. With this disease, I have learned so much from her. And that main lesson is Attitude.

No comments: