Thursday, June 3, 2010

791 days...but who's counting???

First, the good news. Madeline's doctor appointment in Texas with Dr. W was great. All of her tests were perfect. She's strong as an ox. Her bloodwork was once again perfect. Dr. W was so pleased with Madeline's condition, he officially has taken her off all of her medications. Can you give me a woo hoo!!!!

We were so excited when he told her this fabulous news. It actually for once feels real. I see she is perfect, the tests tell us she is and the doctor has blessed it. Thank you God! We all hugged and teared up a little. After 791 days of taking medication to fight her JDM...we are done! Really, really done.

Now, the bad news. Madeline always wants to go to Olive Garden after her appointments. It's a tradition we do each time now. After being seated at our table and deciding what we would eat, Madeline stated she didn't feel well. She thought she was going to vomit. I wasn't real alarmed because this happens sometimes after taking her methotraxate. I thought once she ate she would feel better. After the food came, Madeline excused herself. After a few minutes, I went to check on her and the poor thing had vomited everywhere in the bathroom. The sweet employees were helping her. We left soon after and she slept our long drive home.

Later that evening, Madeline said she was freezing...um, the fever alert went off in my head. We took her temp and it was 102.9. Wow! And it only got higher as the night went on. But, she had no symptoms except for her vomiting (once). I felt it must be viral and the next 24 hours would be telling. Wednesday, her fever was still there and later in the day...her throat began to hurt. Aw, now we know the problem. We called the doctor, but could not get in until today.

Long story short, we saw our ENT this morning. The verdict...tonsillitis and strep throat. Really!?!? Wow...cher bebe. She is a sick little girl. So what happens now? We get off her JDM meds to only have three new medications to take. "That's rather ironic," said Madeline. Yes it is.

But, we are on the path to remission. We have a lot to celebrate and be thankful for. We do not have to go back to see Dr. W for six months...that's December 7. Of course, if anything changes we must call him immediatly. But my gut says it's going to be alright.

189 days until we see Dr. W again. That's 189 days until we can say Madeline is in complelty, absolutely, 100% in remission.

2 comments:

Summer said...

God is good!! Here is a big WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO from me tell her I am so proud of her for bing such a trooper and now that she is in remission she can probably here me cheering from WV I was a cheerleader back in the day ya know LOL....

Awwww that stinks she has tonsilitis that hurts....hope she gets well soon....

Hey I had to make my blog private and I want to send you an invite to it will you shoot me an email so that I can send it to ya
mine is radfords1@verizon.net

xoxo
Summer :0)

Mary Stark said...

I'm so very glad she is in remission and I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. So, here's a big WOO-HOO from IL!!!!!

Our son, Ian, has been on his meds for a little over a year and is making great strides too; down to 3mL of steriod in the morning, .5 mL of Methotrexate once a week and IVIG every six weeks. Maybe 2010 is supposed to be the year of relief after all. In fact, since he has presented so atypically, even in his treatment, his Dr. believes he may actually be able to go into the sunlight without protection down the road; that was a wonderful surprise.

Sorry to hear about the strep --- total bummer! :( But I'm sure M will recover beautifully; she's got a dynamite will and seems to overcome obstacles she encounters.