Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In less than a month

We are on the countdown for Madeline to have her first try at decreasing her medication. September 1 is the big day. We will decrease, per doc orders, her cyclosporine from 2.5 mg to 1 mg daily. She will continue her weekly treatment of methotraxate at the same dose level.

How do I feel about this? Horrified.

I find it very interesting that my fear, when Madeline was first diagnosed, were the medications and their side effects. Now, after I see how much the meds have helped her, I am now having the fear of what will happen when her meds are decreased. We've come so far. I just don't want to see her experience a setback.

I'm staying positive for her, of course. I'm making sure she understands this is the step towards remission and not having to take medications forever. She's glad to hear that. She just wishes it was the methotraxate going away.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Any type of change is hard... But with that said decreasing the meds is a step in the right direction and can be scary all at the same time. What a contradiction. I am in the process of decreasing Steroids but still am on the max dose of Methotrexate and Enbrel. Hang in there if her Methotrexate is working like it should the decrease of the other med shouldn't make much of a difference. Like the docs say if it does make her feel bad, flare, they can always increase it again.. Hope that doesn't have to happen though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Summer

Madeline's Juvenile Dermatomyositis said...

Thanks, Summer. I appreciate your supporting words. I know this is a good thing...just trying to relax. But as a momma...that's a hard thing for me to do. :)

Summer said...

Believe me I know... I am a new mommy myself of a 2 1/2 year old... My good friend has a daughter who also has JRA and she is 2 1/2 and my daughter's best friend. She is the one that linked me to your blog... Her blog is One Day At A Time "Ayla's Journey with JRA" you can find it on my blog under my favs...
Summer