Tuesday, April 21, 2009

We're back!!!

We made it home from Florida late Sunday. Madeline and her dance team did an awesome job. They won Top First, Gold Elite (which is very, very good) for both their jazz and tap routines. They had a wonderful time and we had great weather. Oddly enough, it was actually a little cold there. In fact, it was warmer at home in Louisiana than it was in Florida.

The bad news...Madeline's face got a little red. I don't know if it was truly sunburned or just her rash irritated. The odd thing is that today there is nothing there. So a little confused by that one. It was really a struggle getting her to come to me to reapply her sunblock. She had all her friends there from dance and she wanted to run, swim, play on the beach...like any kid would want to. She and I got into a fight at one point and I had to get drastic with her. I told her, "if you don't put on the sunblock we are going to the room and staying there". I think she thought I was bluffing her, but then she saw I was dead serious. I kept reminding her why this was so important. But it was as if she had blinders on. This makes me nervous for her teen years. In fact, she commented to me (yes, at the age of 10) how jealous she was at all these pretty, tanned girls. She even said, "Momma, remember how dark I could get? I hate how white I am now."

Again, I see this battle only getting worse with age. What do you do?

No comments: