Thursday, April 10, 2008

Appointment Day

Well, we did it. We drove to Beaumont and it took forever. The highway and interstate had construction going on the entire time. We got stuck in traffic for an hour and a half, but I didn't seem to mind due to my nerves and anxiousness of the appointment.

It took us a while to find the hospital, but once we did it was very nice and easily accessible. We didn't have to wait long to see the doctor. He did confirm our fear - she does have juvenile dermatomyositis. He spent an hour in a half w/ us, which was impressive. He reviewed her bloodwork which was done in March ( she had a positive ANA 1:360, speckled pattern; CPK was normal). He also reviewed the pathology report of her biopsy which confirmed dermatomyositis. We actually had two pathologist review the biopsy.

He studied her hands, knees, face, elbows and muscle strength. She is very strong -thank God. We liked him, better yet, Madeline liked him. She thought he was funny. He wore a bow tie and is very tall.

We left there shocked w/ ourselves - he is the right doctor. I hope we are not jumping to conclusions too quickly, but Rick and I both feel he is right for us.

We will start w/ big medications which scare me - cyclopsporine (used for transplant patients) and methotraxate (a form of chemotherapy). I can't believe that is going into my baby's body.

We did find out that he diagnosed her w/ Amyopathic JDM - meaning only skin involvement. If anything that was good news.

But still I wonder - why her?

It was a long, hard day - but we did it.

No comments: