Monday, February 15, 2010

Interesting article

Okay - don't kill the messanger...saw this interesting article on stem cell transplantation with good outcomes. I'm not pushing for or against stem cell research, just sharing interesting facts on JDM research. :)

Successful autologous stem cell transplantation in two patients with juvenile dermatomyositis.
Posted on February 08th, 2010 in Stem Cell Therapy, Stem Cells
We report on two patients with severe progressive JDM who developed contractures and were wheelchair dependent despite therapy including methotrexate (MTX), steroids, immunoglobulins, cyclosporin A, and rituximab. On account of the refractory disease, autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) was performed using a CD3/CD19-depleted graft after immunoablative conditioning with fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and anti-thymocyte globulin. This induced a dramatic improvement and sustained remission of the disease in both patients. We demonstrate that ASCT is a therapeutic option with low toxicity for patients with severe, refractory JDM.
PMID: 20132077 [PubMed - in process] (Source: Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology)

1 comment:

Summer said...

Thanks for the article! I always love the reseach you post on your blog! I am one of the adult DM cases where it takes my body a loooong time to respond to meds! Thank goodness my body is starting to respond to all 17 meds I am on now!

I always like to here of new studies and reseach for them to find a cure for JDM and DM!!

You are such a support system for me! I am so glad we met through "blogging"!! How is Madeline doing by the way??

Did you have a great V-Day??

Happy Monday Friend
Summer :0)